Points Shared in Season Opener at Chapel Hill

All County Division 2 Football League

St.Joseph’s Glenavy 1.10 v 2.07 Con Magees Glenravel

This was both teams first outing in this season’s league where they served up an entertaining game for their supporters. The game was played at Glenavy on a bitterly cold but dry day with the wind blowing straight up the pitch. Both sides started with a good blend of experience and youth.

The visitors played with the wind in the first half and had the first score on three minutes with an excellent move stating from their keeper and finished to the net by Eoin Hynds. Fergus Cunningham pulled a point back for the home side with an excellent pointed free from an acute angle. With the North Antrim side piling on the pressure the Chapel Hill men were responsible for a few needless frees. Eoin Hynds took advantage and tapped over two easy frees to put his side four in front.

Patrick Gallagher replaced the injured Michael Johnston and immediately made his presence felt. With a good ball into the heart of the visitors defence the ball broke to Michael Kane who split the posts. Patrick Gallagher broke through for a point immediately followed by a Connor Hamill point to close the gap to two. With halftime approaching Fergal Henry was ice cool when he pointed a free from the sideline. Eoin Hynds started the scoring and finish the half with a pointed free. Halftime score Glenavy 0.4 v 1.3 Glenravel.

Now with the wind in their backs the home side put in a huge effort but all they had to show was a Charles Gallagher point. It was the Lough view men who were putting the green and white defenders under pressure. From a breakaway David Higgins crossed the black spot with a beauty to put his side two in front with twenty minutes to play. Gareth Collins in the home nets placed the kick out to a colleague who quickly got the ball into the square where Michael Kane rose the highest to punch it down to Fergal Henry who found the corner of the net to put his side in front for the first time.

From the kickout the orange men were awarded a free and Fergal Henry placed the ball over the bar. Now the Glensmen were chasing the game for the first time and they went about it in style when the ball broke to Eamon Fyffe who cantered through for a well take goal. Eamon was quickly on the scoreboard again with two pointed frees to put his side three in front. The Chapel Hill side had a purple patch with four unanswered frees. Peter Traynor from play followed by another Fergal Henry Free. Michael Kane and Michael added points to put their side one up with time running out. The visitors gave it one last push and were rewarded with the equalising point from a free. The home side had one more effort to get the winning score but referee Eamon Hamill blew the full time whistle with both sides gaining a point each.

Over the hour a draw was probably a fair result but I’m sure both sides would dispute that.

St. Joseph’s: G. Collins; L. Henry, R. Malley, B. Burns, M. Hamill; C Gallagher;       N. Scullion (S. McGirr 38mns.), O. Hamill (A. Gallagher 55mns.), M. Johnston (P. Gallagher 6mns.); C. Hamill, P. Traynor; E. Henry; M. Kane, F. Henry; F. Cunningham; (M. McCourt (50mns.)

Referee Eamon Hamill  St.Teresa’s