Seniors Defeated in Moneyglass

Moneyglass closed the gap on league leaders O’ Donavan Rossa when they overwhelmed Glenavy in the late evening sunshine at Marian Hill on Tuesday evening.


The St Ergnat’s men started in a positive mode which they were to maintain throughout the hour and when the impressive Dermot Mc Erlain found the net atthe end of the opening quarter they were in absolute charge.


The Duffin brothers had been much to the fore in the opening minutes with Colum raising four white flags with his sibling Seanachan helping himself to a couple and when McErlain weighed in with the opening major after half backs Conor Boyd and Padraig Mackle combined to set up the opening the home side were at 1-06 to 0-00. Glenavy who had travelled shorthanded, did not trouble the scoreboard attendant until the 18th minute when Michael McCourt split the posts but and Thomas
Gallagher grabbed a 29th minute goal but Niall Boyd responded at the other end within a couple of minutes Mid fielder Boyd finished to the net after Padraig Mackle had intervened on the ‘40’ to pick the pocket of Michael Mc Court  and the ball was transferred through Miran Neeson to Boyd who finished in style.

Central defender Conor Boyd had planted a couple of frees between the posts defying acute angles in the process, and with Liam Brady, Colum Duffin and Niall Boyd all following suit the home side were at 2-11 to 1-01 at the break.


St. Ergnat’s continued to dominate in the second half and early scores from Dermot Mc Erlain, Paul Tohill, Liam Brady, and Tohill again in answer to a solitary Thomas Gallagher score saw them 2-16 to 1-02 ahead at the end of the third quarter and the St Ergnat’s men were in the calm waters of security.

Glenavy struggled to make impact and after the visitors added a 46th minute point as Fergal Green clipped a 30 metre free between the posts the resultant kick out saw the home side make strong reply. The pace laden Padraig Mackle, who had impressed with his strong running left several trailing in his majestic wake as he drove forward to find Seanachan Duffin in front of the opposition’s posts. The full forward was denied a goal by the Glenavy net minder Jack Nelson, who made a number of fine saves in the game, but the incoming Padraig Mackle gathered
the rebound and returned the ball to the back of the net.


Jonny Philips did add a 51st minute score to the Glenavy tally when he sent a 40 metre free over the bar, but it was more than evident that the white flag raised was much in the consolation mode. Dermot Mc Erlain replied at the other end to be followed by Eamon Kelly with Liam Brady quickly adding another.

The home side continued on the offensive right to conclusion with corner back PeterMc Erlaine getting in on the act with a fine point as did late replacements Kevin Marron and Luke O’ Donnell who shared points apiece. Glenavy’s Fergus Green doubled his personal haul with a late point but the Marian Hill men finished with a flourish as a late, injury time Colum Duffin goal saw them cross the line at 4-22 to 1-05.With Tir na nOg taking the points at the expense of the front running, previously unbeaten Rossa at the week-end Moneyglass have closed the gap with the Shaw’s road side and retain second place now only two points in arrears.


Moneyglass: M. Carey, M. Neeson, T. Duffin, P. McErlaine (0-01), J. McNeill, C. Boyd (0-03), P .Mackle (1-00), N. Boyd, D. McErlaine (1-02), Sean Kelly, Paul Toal (0-01), Colum Duffin (1-06), Liam Brady (0-03), S. Duffin (0-03), G. Murray

Subs: E. Kelly (0-01) for C Boyd; K. Marron (0-01) for P Mackle. L. O’ Donnell (0-01) for M Neeson

J. Nelson, J. Hill, O. Hamill, .P. O’ Neill, R. Philips, N.  Scullion, J. Philips (0-01), P. r Treanor, C. Looney, N. McCann, M. Mc Court (0-01), F. Green (0-02), F. Cunningham, O. Gallagher, T. Gallagher (1-01)

Referee V Boyle (Cuchullian’s)