Seniors Secure Local Derby Win

Division 2 Football League

St.Patrick’s Lisburn 1.08 v 1.14 St.Joseph’s Glenavy.

Going into this game the home side playing at their home ground on Kirkwood Road knew they would  of playing division three football next season. On the other hand the visitors knew they would be staying in the second division. After a close first half either sides looked like they would win the game..The second half belonged to the Chapel Hill side scoring ten points to the city side’s 1.03. At half time the referee made the score o.05 to 0.04 in Lisburn’s favour, even though both sides had the score level at five apiece.

Corner forward Conor Dixon got the home side up and running with an excellent point. The ever reliable Michael had the scores level with a pointed free. Francis McMeel put his side back in front with a point from play. We then had three points from a pointed free by Michael McCourt and two from open play from Niall McCann and Ciaran Loney (this was the disputed point). Back came the side in blue and gold with three points from Conor Dixon, Mark Torbitt and a pointed free from Francis McMeel to put their side one in front. Michael McCourt pointed a free as the halftime whistle blew to leave the score 5 v 4 in the home side’s favour.

The second half started with a Francis McMeel pointed free. James Gallagher started the fight back with a long distance point. Team captain Ciaran Loney stroked a beauty through the upright to put the orange men one up. Fergus Cunningham who had replaced the injured Michael Johnston at halftime put his side one up from a placed ball. Back came the lads in blue and gold with a point from Mark Torbitt to level the scores at 7 apiece.

The visitors then had a purple patch scoring 1.06 without reply. Niall McCann and James Gallagher had a brace a piece Fergus had a point from a difficult angle. Ciaran Loney added points to the tally which left the visitors leading by double scores. Aaron McGarry replaced Thomas Gallagher and with his first kick of the ball he helped himself to an opportunist goal. To their credit back come the hosts and were rewarded with a goal from the penalty spot expertly taken by Conor Dixon. Mark Torbitt had the final say with a point to leave the visitors winning by 1.14 v 1.08.

It has been a difficult season for both sides and let’s hope next year will be more fruitful. The final league game of the season will be on Wednesday with a home game for St.Patrick’s against Rasharkin and St. Joseph’s travelling to near neighbours Aldergrove.

St.Patrick’s: Peter O’Neill, Shane McEvoy, Thomas Burns, Mark Torbitt, Sean Casey, Aaron McDonald; Ben McMullan, Niall Ward; Eoin Fay, Josh McMullan; Declan Burns; Conor Dixon, Mark Chemek, Francis McMeel; Mark Kennedy

St.Joseph’s: Donard Shannon; Ruairi Forester; Conor Hamill; Ryan Phillips; Patrick Gallagher; Charles Gallagher; Peter Traynor; Ciaran Loney; Michael Johnston (Fergus Cunningham. Ben McCambridge); Niall McCann; Michael McCourt; (Jack Hill); Anthony Gallagher; Thomas Gallagher (Aaron McGarry); James Gallagher; Fergal Henry

Referee: Colin Mallon Aghagallon