Seniors v Glenravel Match Report

Antrim A.C.F. L. Division 2

Glenavy 0.15 v 3.12

When these two sides met in Glenravel for their first game of the season only a point separated the sides in Glenavy’s favour. This time with home advantage St.Joseph’s were expecting to come out on top in a close encounter. It looked good for them at halftime when the lead by double scores 0.10 v 1.02. When Fergal Henry extended the lead to five things was looking good but in a ten minute spell the visitors added 2.05 without reply. With the scenic view looking over Lough Neagh and Rams Island and a perfect playing surface provided the ideal setting for the game.

The visitors were first to raise a white flag when Eamon Fyfe fired over. Fergal Henry tested the visiting keeper Johnny Fyffe who brought off a magnificent save at the expense of a 45. Niall McCann pulled the sides level with a well worked point. Fergus Cunningham added a point to put his side front. Fergal Henry pointed the first two of his nine points. Eamon Fyfe kept his side in the game with a point and goal to put his side in front. Team captain Ciaran Loney brought the sides level with a point from distance. Once again Johnny Fyffe came to his side’s rescue when he pushed Oisin Hamill’s goal bound shot over the bar. Fergal Henry put his side three in front with two pointed frees  With the firsthalf almost up Niall McCann and the impressive minor Fergal Henry firing over the black spot to bring the score to Glenavy 0.10 v 1.02 Glenravel.

The home support must have thought two points were in the bag when Fergal Henry opened the scoring with a point. The next ten minutes were the icing on the cake for the North Antrim visitors when they added 2.05 without reply. The ever present Eamon Fyfe was on hand to punish a mixup in the home defence when he blasted to the net. Conor McNeill landed a pointed free from an acute angle. Eoin Higgins closed the gap to the minimum when he split the posts from play. The orangemen were in shock at what was happening and seemed unable to stop the onslaught.

Conor McNeill brought the sides level with a point. Sean McKay put his side in the driving seat when he finished a fine move with a well taken goal. Conor McNeill proved he had his shooting boots on with a pointed free. Eamon Fyfe added another point to leave the score after forty five minutes played 3.07 v 0.11 in the visitors favour. To their credit Glenavy didn’t give up. Fergal Henry had a pointed free to stop the rot. Any thoughts the home support had of a comeback were thwarted when Eoin Higgins and Sean McKay extended the visitors lead. Once again young Henry slotted over two frees. Fergus Cunningham had the lough views side’s last score with a point from play. Aidan O’Donnell added a point and the hard running Conor McNeill added points from play. The final score came from an Aida O’Donnell when he slotted over a point.

The visitors fully deserved their victory from a game of two halves. Glenavy had the better of the opening half but they were over ran in the second. Next up for the winners is a home game against Aldergrove while Glenavy have a do or die game at home against Rasharkin.