Under 14 Boys through to their League Final

Thomas Devlin Car Sales U14 League Shield Semi-Final

St.Joseph’s Glenavy 2.10 v 0.06 Kickham’s Creggan

The game was played at Chapel Hill on a slippery pitch which made it difficult for players to get into a rhythm but was played in a good spirit by both teams.

The home side settled first and were first on the score sheet with two points from Matthew Kane and Michael Morgan. Creggan pulled a point back to keep their side in touch. The Hill side’s keeper Jamie Hanna was having a man of the match game with three excellent saves and his kickouts were reaching their target.  Midfielders Niall Burke and Matthew Kane were having the better of the exchanges and with quick ball into the forwards were reaping dividends, Finn Shannon, Michael Morgan and Odhran Arthurs added points to leave four between the sides. The visitors were finding it difficult to pass an impressive fullback line of Angus McDonald, Ethan Hotchkiss and Oisin McArdle. Creggan were rewarded with a pointed free to close the gap.

St. Joseph’s half forward line of Jack Hewett, Michael Morgan and James Monaghan was giving their markers a torrid time. Michael Morgan and Matthew Kane added points. The large crowd were treated to a brilliant goal which started from a kickout by Jamie Hanna. He found Niall Burke who moved the ball on quickly into the forwards. The ball reached Eoin Byrne who gave the keeper no chance with a piledriver into the corner of the net. Once again Creggan didn’t give up and were rewarded with a pointed free to leave the halftime score 1.07 v 0.03 in the orange mens favour.

The second half started with an excellent point for the visitors. The lough view lads responded with two pointed frees from the impressive Finn Shannon. Peter Mulholland replaced the injured Niall Burke for the home side. With the home side’s fullforward line of Finn Shannon; Eoin Byrne and Odhran Arthurs were keeping their opponents busy. Odhran Arthurs finished a good passing move with a very well taken goal quickly followed by a point.  Eugene Mullholland replaced the hard working Jack Hewett for the home side.  To their credit the visitors were trying hard to get back into the game and added two points from open play, which proved to be the final scores

Both sides deserve great credit for the standard of football they served up for the large crowd present. Over the sixty minutes the home side deserved to win as they took their chances.

A word of praise for the referee Richard Leahy for allowing the game to flow and showed his authority when required.

Glenavy: Jamie Hanna; Angus McDonald; Ethan Hotchkiss; Oisin McArdle; Ruairi Hamill; Dara McAlister; Matthew Nelson; Niall Burke (Peter Mulholland); Matthew Kane; Jack Hewitt (Eugene Mulholland);  Michael Morgan; James Monaghan; Finn Shannon; Eoin Byrne; Odhran Arthurs.

Reserves: Cormac Donnelly; Colin Keanan; Padhraic McKevitt; Joe Gilbride; Cormac Campbell.   

Referee: Richard Leahy St.Comgall’s