Minors Lose out to Lámh Dhearg

Creagh Concreate Minor B Group 1

Lámh Dhearg 1-15-1-09 Glenavy

Lámh Dhearg minors made it back to back wins in Group 1 of the Minor B Championship after coming out on top 1-15-1-09 over Glenavy at Hannahstown this evening.

The Hannastown side led by two-points at the interval with Eoin Campbell accounting for four of his sides seven opening half scores.

Despite increasing their lead upon the resumption a goal from Pearse Connaughton drew Glenavy level, only for Campbell to reply instantly with a goal at the other end.

The bare minimum separated the sides going into the second water break but Lámh Dhearg ended with a flourish to claim victory.

Lámh Dhearg went into the game against their country rivals knowing there was no-margin for error if they wanted to maintain hopes of a top-two finish to claim a semi-final spot.


Eoin Campbell converted an early free after a foul on Daniel Murray but Darragh Armstrong drew Glenavy level and then combined with Rory Nelson to edge the visitors ahead.

Pearse Connaughton missed a couple of opportunities to extend his sides lead but was off target and Lámh Dhearg restored parity through attacking half-back Aaron Carey after some fine link-up from Ciaran Boyd and Niall McGarry.

The sides traded further scores through Matthew Magee and Campbell (free) before Campbell conjured up an intelligent point for his third of the half.

A further point followed from Ciaran Boyd though Jack McCann kicked a perfect free at the other end to leave the bare minimum between the sides (0-05-0-04).

Once more the sides traded scores as Boyd turned provider for a smart Fionn Mervyn point, whilst Rory Nelson worked his magic at the other end.

Just before the break Eoin Campbell converted his third free of the half to ensure his side went in at the interval with a 0-07-0-05 lead.

The Lámhs made a bright beginning to the second period as half-time substitute Conall McGuigan won back possession and the ball was played to Fionn Mervyn who claimed the advanced mark- Mervyn then composed himself and shot over the bar.

The resulting kick-out was won by Niall McGarry who switched to Eoin Campbell who advanced and coolly slotted over to extend his sides lead to four.


Pearse Connaughton replied with a free and on the 39th minute the sides were drawn level for the fourth time as Connaughton netted from Darragh Armstrong’s popped pass to make it 0-09-1-06.

However Lámh Dhearg demonstrated their powers of recovery, Kieran Fay-Kelly slipped an inside pass to Eoin Campbell who took off and got his angles correct- beating Ruairi Hamill in the Glenavy goal to restore his sides three-point lead.

Glenavy weren’t deterred by their set-back as Darragh Armstrong converted a free and Connaughton angled the ball over to reduce arrears to a single point going into the water-break in the second period.

With the game very much in the balance the Lámhs stole a march again with four unanswered points.

Niall McGarry laid the ball off to Kieran Fay-Kelly for a point, Fay-Kelly would conjure up a further score in-between points from Ciaran Boyd and Eoin Campbell (free).

Pearse Connaughton converted a 45’ in response but the visitors were in need of a goal to bring the game alive once more.


They almost found an opening through Darragh Armstrong but Rhys Camlin showed magnificent bravery to turn the ball away ahead of the full-forward in aerial dual.

Instead Lámh Dhearg saw game out with Conall McGuigan excellently rising highest to a kick-out from Camlin to start an attack which ended with Campbell popping the ball to Ciaran Boyd for a point.

First-half substitute Ciaran Goss added another point late on as the Hannahstown side made it back to back victories in the group ahead of their final game with St Pat’s Lisburn in two-week’s time. Glenavy like Lámh Dhearg now have no margin for error and will hope to get back on track when they host St Comgalls on the same evening.


Lámh Dhearg: R Camlin, D Uprichard, A Carey (0-01), T McKenna, L Clarke, A McCloskey, D Clenaghan, D Murray, C O’Hara, E Campbell (1-06, 0-03f), F Mervyn (0-02, 0-01f), N McGarry, D Cunningham, C Boyd (0-03), M Braniff. Subs: K Fay-Kelly (0-02) for D Cunningham (28), C Goss (0-01) for M Braniff (28), C McGuigan for D Uprichard (HT).

Glenavy: R Hamill, J McCann (0-01f),C Crighton, T Honeyford, J Mulholland, M Lawlor, C Burke, F Malley, M Magee (0-01), E Clenaghan, D Doherty, P Connaughton (1-03,0-01f, 0-01 45’), P O’Leary, D Armsrong (0-02, 0-01f), R Nelson (0-02). Subs: F O’Boyle for D Doherty (27) S O’Neill for P O’Leary (HT), D McAllister for J Mulholland (44).


Referee: Joe Sloan