Minors Through to Next Round of Laverty Cup

St.Joseeph’s Glenavy 3.13 v 0.08 Kickham’s Creggan

After a feisty draw at Creggan this replay created a good deal of interest but it turned out to be a rather tame affair. Played at Chapel Hill on a beautiful evening the game was late at getting started which meant it finished as darkness closed in. Both sides fielded with several under sixteen players in their teams.

The visitors got the perfect start with two points from Odhran Hampsey and Joe McAteer. Pearse Connaughton pointed a free to get his side up and running. The green and gold clad side they were meaning business when Oisin McAteer pointed  from an acute angle. Fiontán O’Boyle led the opposition defence a merry dance as he jinxed his way through and finished with a fisted point. Once again the visitors extended their lead when Sean McAuley worked his way through for an excellent point.

The home side all of a sudden took control at midfield which gave an excellent platform for their forwards to work from. Darragh Armstrong pointed two frees to bring the sides level at four apiece. The first goal of the game was an excellent team game with the move starting with fullback Jack McCann making an excellent block and clearance. The ball was worked into the forwards with the ball reaching midfielder Finn Malley who gave keeper Joe Dudley no chance as the ball nestled in his net. Sean McAuley showed all his skills when he landed a beauty between the posts to close the gap to two. Back came the orangemen with points from Fiontán O’Boyle, Finn Malley and Pearse Connaughton to leave the halftime score 1.7 v 0.5.

The Chapel Hill side started the second half in the ascendancy and added three points from Finn Malley and two from Darragh Armstrong to extend their lead to eight points. Finn Bradley showed the Staffordstown Road side hadn’t gone away when he scored an excellent point. When Dylan Hinfey added another it gave his side hope. Any hope of a comeback was dashed when Calum Creighton blasted to the net to put the Glenavy lads in control of the game. Centre back Matthew Lawlor  showed all his skills  when he put his side out of sight when he scored three excellent points , two from play and one free..With darkness descending Sean Duffin had a consolation point for his side. The talented Michael Morgan had the last say when he finished to the net to leave his side worthy winners. Final score St.Joseph’s 3.23 v 0.08 Kickham’s.

Both sides deserve a word of praise for the standard of play displayed. No doubt both clubs will be the stronger in the future when quite a number of  these players will become household names.

St.Joseph’s Lorcan Murphy, Conor Loney, Jack McCann, Timmy Honeyford, Pearse Connaughton, Matthew Lawlor, Cal Burke, Finn Malley, Matthew Magee, Calum Creigean,  Darragh Doherty, Rory Nelson, Odhran Arthurs, Darragh Armstrong, Fiontáin O’Boyle, Michael Morgan, James Mulholland, Shay O’Neill, Daniel Hamill, Dara McAlister, Finn Shannon, Patrick O’Leary


Kickham’s Joe Dudley, Caolan Hughes, Peadar McGuckin, Peter McGinley, Odhran Hampsey, Sean McAuley, Sean Donnelly, Finn Bradley, Oisin McAteer, Joe McAteer, Joe McAteer, Cillian McLarmon, .Michael Murray, Sean Duffin, Fintain O’Neill.


Referee: John Moran St.James’ Aldergrove