Seniors Suffer Narrow Defeat to Davitts

Antrim Division Two Football League

Glenavy 3.09 v 3.10 Davitt’s

Played on a very slippery surface this game will not live long in the memory of the home club. The twenty five scores did not reflect the poor standard of football played by both sides. Davitts probably deserved the favourable result because of their greater experienced side. They took the chances that came their way and were more clinical in finishing out the game.

Michael McCourt got the home side’s first point and was quickly followed by a goal from Padraig McPartland  and a James Lyndsay point to give the visitors the lead. The free running of Glenavy’s Alex Gallagher paid off with a point. Padraig McPartland pulled a point back for the city side. Fergal Green scored a point from fifty meters to bring his side within striking distance of Davitt’s. County fullback Patrick Gallagher stole up field gained possession twenty meters out and let fly for the ball to finish in the Davitt’s net. Michael McCourt added a point from a free to put his side in a commanding lead. C. Slane pointed to leave his side a point in arrears. The lough view side finished the first half with an excellent strike from Michael Kane to leave the halftime score Glenavy 2.05 v 1.03 Davitt’s.

Davitts started the second half with points from D. Smyth and Padraig McPartland. Not to be out done, Michael had a pointed free followed by Ryan Phillips splitting the posts. C. Toner closed the gap to four when he finished an excellent run with a point. The alert Alex Gallagher got a goal which left his side seven in front. At this stage Davitts brought on the experienced Sean O’Neill into midfield and he changed the game immediately when he gained a free which was pointed by the reliable P. McPartland. Toner added another point which was quickly followed by a Sean O’Neil goal to bring his side to within two. Fergal Green steadied the ship with a pointed free and when Fergal Henry pointed the home crowd must have thought the two valuable points were in the bag. Now four behind the visitors lead siege on the home defence and were rewarded with two minutes to go when D. Smyth buried the ball in the Glenavy net. With the defence in all sorts of trouble a foul was committed which the reliable Padraig McPartland pointed to bring the sides level. The home side had at least three chances of scores which they didn’t take and were punished when the city side broke out and scored the winning point from man of the match Padraig McPartland.

Final score Glenavy 3.09 v 3.10 Davitt’s